Cheyenne Police Detectives continue to investigate a series of “distraction” thefts occurring in local stores. In what appears to be an ongoing nationwide crime spree, thieves are approaching female senior citizens while they are alone and attempt to gain access to their purse. The suspects are targeting wallets, what they are doing with the contents inside is still under investigation. At least 30 potentially related incidents have occurred in Cheyenne since 2021. The subjects have not been identified, are very efficient, and have a specific pattern of behavior when committing their theft scheme.
During each incident, several suspects enter a grocery or retail store, actively seeking a victim. In each case, the victim has often been a white female, over 55 years of age, shopping alone, with an open purse or wallet in their cart. After selecting a victim, a male or female with a possible accent engages in conversation, typically asking where items are located within the store. While the victim is distracted, another suspect steals the purse/wallet and walks out of the store. The male or female previously distracting the victim also exits the store, and all suspects return to their vehicle.
On March 28th, 2023, a suspect used a victim’s information to purchase items from a local business. If you have any information regarding the pictured individual, please contact Detective Fernandez at (307) 633-6638 or email@example.com.
Recent Suspect Information:
Multiple White/Hispanic males and females
- Often wearing a white or black hat.
- Wear cross body type purses
To avoid becoming a victim of theft, the Cheyenne Police Department offers the following safety tips:
- If you are victimized, dial 9-1-1 immediately and give a detailed description of the thief
or thieves – the height, weight, facial hair, tattoos, etc. Also, notify management if you
are near a business and your bank and credit card companies.
- If you carry a handbag when shopping, use one that has a zipper or snap-flap closure.
- Never let your bag out of your sight, especially when it’s in a shopping cart. If you turn
- away from your shopping cart for any reason, pick up your handbag and secure it in front
- of you.
- If you see suspicious activity while shopping report it to store employees.