From the Wyoming Department of Health
January 5, 2016
The Wyoming Comprehensive Cancer Control Program, part of the Wyoming Department of Health, is encouraging state residents to test their homes for radon.
Radon is an invisible, odorless, tasteless and dangerous gas found in homes, especially older structures. Radon naturally occurs as a radioactive gas released from the element radium and is found in rocks, soil and water.
“As radon naturally degrades, it can seep up into your home, get trapped inside, and build in intensity,” said Julie Tarbuck, Wyoming Comprehensive Cancer Control Program manager.
“Radon is recognized as the second leading cause of lung cancer,” Tarbuck said. “The good news is exposure to radon is easily preventable with testing and fixing.”
All homes have radon; however after a certain level of radon, health concerns exist. An elevated level of radon is considered anything over 4 pCi/L (picocuries per liter of air) and should be fixed, while anything below 2pCi/L is considered within normal limits and doesn’t require immediate attention, but may eventually cause health concerns with prolonged exposure.
The Wyoming Comprehensive Cancer Control Program has radon test kits available for individuals and families at a low cost, as well as resources for contractors, real estate agents and home buyers. For more information about radon or to obtain a radon test kit please call 307-777-8609 or visit health.wyo.gov/phsd/radon.